The strength it takes to get back up, especially after a great fall, builds spiritual muscle. As a personal fitness trainer, one of the most valuable pieces of knowledge I have attained is; the power of muscle memory.
When you are a person who has ever spent a prolonged period of time, working your muscles, they remember. No matter how out of shape you become, for whatever reason, it is then easier and quicker to regain strength than it is for someone who never worked out. I have seen this happen in my own life as well as with patients I work with as a physical therapist assistant in a skilled nursing setting. Those individuals that had any kind of fitness, sports or other, background are better able to recover strength even many years later.
What I'm concerned with this morning is the spiritual falls everyone experiences along the way. To be aware of what can be gleaned from such a fall is a step in the right direction, to be proactive in searching out a greater lesson is a huge advantage in getting up again.
I am a firm believer in that we are all exactly where we need to be at any given moment, and also everything happens in our lives for a reason. I also believe the 20/80 rule is a very real phenomenon. What I mean by this is that 20% of us will have the where with all to even desire to ferret out the lessons life is trying to teach us. The other 80% will likely just go along as if it was just bad luck, poor me, blah, blah, blah.
Today I am most grateful and thankful to be in the 20% that will look in the mirror and ask the hard questions. What am I to learn from this? What am I to do differently? How can I become a better, stronger more productive human being.
Last night I literally got knocked on my ass. It happened while standing my ground in kickball to get a player on the other team out. It was a personal goal to do what it took to get better at the game and prove to myself I could do it. This morning my nose is sore, but I avoided a fat lip. More importantly, now I know I can do it. I will get better and instill confidence in myself and my teammates.
So, be it literal, figurative, physical or spiritual, look at the fall, assess the damage and get UP off your ass. Climb out of the pit and watch your muscles grow.